~ HOME | ABOUT | CONTACT ~


June 3, 2017

The thing about Sunday...

"The Sabbath." 

"Black Sabbath?" 

"No, like THE Sabbath." 

"Huh?"

What does it mean to "take a sabbath" in our day and age? I asked myself this recently when some random movie I was watching mentioned "Observing the sabbath" in a comical, yet intriguing way...

I've been exploring the subject and meditating on the concept, so here's what I've got:

First I broke out the old King James and read Exodus 20:8, "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy." Okay.

So, like 'Remember' as in, "Hey man, you remember that time we...?" probably not, right?

Then I remembered that preacher guy saying something about "context matters." huh... let's see then.

~

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
~

Oh Crap. I don't work Sunday, but my server at that mexican food joint in town does, and Lord knows we eat there after church every time I'm up visiting family and going to church in my home town... greaaaaaaaaat. Now I'll feel guilty every time mom and I run through the drive thru at FasTaco cause we're "starving" after church. 

I seem to remember something about food though... didn't the bible say something about food?

Yup. There was something about food. It's called BE PREPARED. 

~

29 See! The Lord has given you the Sabbath; therefore on the sixth day he gives you bread for two days. Remain each of you in his place; let no one go out of his place on the seventh day.”
~

Well I don't know about you dude, but I'm feeling pretty convicted over this one... Thank you Jesus for dying for my sins because I'd surely go to hell after all the Sundays I've either eaten out or been a server myself!

Another question remains though... if we're not supposed to "go out of [our] place" how do we go to church on Sunday? Methinks there is more to this than meets the eye.

~a prayerful and introspective Delanie

No comments:

Post a Comment